Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Garmin Track Logs


Reply to GPS loggers: recommendations and regrets

9MacGyver9 posted a reply:

I use a Garmin Oregon 450. A while ago I created an Instructable that shows how to setup a separate profile just for geotagging: GeoTagging with a Standalone GPS Unit & GeoSetter. www.instructables.com/id/GeoTagging-with-a-Standalone-GPS...

I use the unit with my Nikon & Canon cameras and with my wife's PS. I keep it attached to my camera bag all of the time so it's always handy. The unit is loaded with maps I downloaded (free) for the entire US from GPSFileDepot and put on one 4G micro-SD card. Once I started using with geotagging applications I was hooked and have been geotagging ever since.

The Oregon units can be pricy, but they have several other functions that come in handy - especially the POIs function. I've found many photo-ops that some of the local people didn't even know existed!

The unit uses the same high quality NiMH batteries as my speedlites, so I carry a couple extra just in case I forget to recharge before leaving. The unit specs say they are good for about 15 hours, but I've used mine 16 & 17 hours - just a matter of how you configure the display and use the functions.

No comments:

Post a Comment